Paris attack: Police step up armed patrols at London's Eurostar station after Charlie Hebdo massacre

Two gunmen are still at large as the Home Secretary orders increased border security

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Armed police have stepped up patrols at London St Pancras station in London after a deadly shooting at in Paris magazine which left 12 dead.

St Pancras is the London terminal of the Eurostar train, which runs a direct high-speed train connection to Paris’s Gare du Nord.

British Transport Police said the increased armed patrols at St Pancras were mainly to provide reassurance to the public.

"Since 2012, we have deployed armed officers within London,” the spokesperson said.

“The safety of rail passengers and staff is of paramount importance to us, and we want to provide a reassuring, visible armed presence to deter terrorism on the rail network.”

"In light of the events in Paris, we have increased patrols at St Pancras, in order to maintain and provide enhanced visibility and reassurance to the public. We keep our security arrangements under constant review."

The UK’s terrorism threat level remains at severe after Wednesday’s attack, which means an incident is deemed likely, though no imminent.

The Home Secretary yesterday put British border police on alert in case suspected tried to flee to the UK.

In a statement, Theresa May said: "The cowardly attacks that took place in Paris yesterday have shocked and sickened people in the UK and around the world.

“And they are a reminder of the very serious threat we face from terrorism.

"Following the attacks, we took the precautionary step yesterday of increasing security at the French/UK border.

Troops-paris-REUT.jpg French police have identified three suspects in the shooting at the offices of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Two brothers, Cherif and Said Kouachi are at large and believed to be responsible for Wednesday’s terror attack.

Police are currently searching a vast forest where they are believed to be hiding out.

One man who police initially suspected of involvement, 18-year old Hamyd Mourad, is reported to have surrendered to police and claims he was in school at the time of the attack.