Protest over Romania government's plan to kill stray dogs
Wednesday 25 September 2013
A bill allowing stray dogs to be euthanised is legal, the constitutional court has ruled, prompting hundreds of dog lovers to block a main road outside parliament in protest.
The ruling came weeks after a four-year-old boy’s fatal mauling in Bucharest led the government to draft the legislation.
Under the law, stray dogs will be taken to shelters and killed if not adopted or claimed within 14 days. The World Society for the Protection of Animals called the bill “both inhumane and ineffective”.
There are an estimated 40,000 to 60,000 stray dogs in Bucharest. A hospital that handles infectious diseases has treated 9,760 people for dog bites in the first eight months of this year.
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Autumn Statement 2013: Work until you’re 70 - George Osborne accused of ‘living in fantasy land’ over pension reforms
Nigella Lawson arrives for second day in court after accusing Charles Saatchi of threatening to 'destroy' her with drug claims
Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
Paul Walker death: Eight-year-old son of Porsche driver Roger Rodas tried to rescue his father
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Hate With Friends: Now you can find out who your Facebook frenemies are
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Schools in developing countries struggle with...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: As part of our ongoing effort to support comm...