Six killed in Russia apartments gas blast
Tuesday 28 February 2012
At least six people were killed and 12 others injured when part of a
nine-storey apartment building in southern Russia collapsed following a
natural gas explosion, officials said today.
Anzhelika Barinova, of Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry, said five people are still missing after the blast in Astrakhan, 800 miles south-east of Moscow, yesterday.
Today, several hundred rescuers were searching through the debris for victims.
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin ordered local gas company officials to be suspended pending an official investigation.
Explosions caused by leaky gas pipes and canisters in Russian apartment buildings are common.
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
- 4 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
Germanwings plane crash: Investigators may have already found remains of suspected killer co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
Children take eight Isis captives to be beheaded in latest propaganda video
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
£17000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Graduate Structural Engineer ...
£22000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A New Business Manager role sui...
£17000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This particular opportunity is ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Compute Engineer role also ...