Six killed in Russia apartments gas blast
Tuesday 28 February 2012
At least six people were killed and 12 others injured when part of a
nine-storey apartment building in southern Russia collapsed following a
natural gas explosion, officials said today.
Anzhelika Barinova, of Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry, said five people are still missing after the blast in Astrakhan, 800 miles south-east of Moscow, yesterday.
Today, several hundred rescuers were searching through the debris for victims.
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin ordered local gas company officials to be suspended pending an official investigation.
Explosions caused by leaky gas pipes and canisters in Russian apartment buildings are common.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + 28 Days Holiday: Harrington Starr: Java Server Dev...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Are you looking for a VAT Ad...
£60000 - £90000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Java Developme...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Due to considerable growth w...