Six killed in Russia apartments gas blast
At least six people were killed and 12 others injured when part of a
nine-storey apartment building in southern Russia collapsed following a
natural gas explosion, officials said today.
Anzhelika Barinova, of Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry, said five people are still missing after the blast in Astrakhan, 800 miles south-east of Moscow, yesterday.
Today, several hundred rescuers were searching through the debris for victims.
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin ordered local gas company officials to be suspended pending an official investigation.
Explosions caused by leaky gas pipes and canisters in Russian apartment buildings are common.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...