Swedish dinner party murder suspect admits he 'must have killed' friend

It is thought the 39-year-old attacker had been mentally ill for some time

The prime suspect in a Swedish murder case has said he does not remember stabbing his friend in the chest but admitted "it cannot be someone else who did it", it has been reported.

The 39-year-old man, who has not been named, is accused of carrying out the attack at a dinner party in Onsala, western Sweden last December, according to Swedish regional newspaper Göteborgs-Posten.

The suspect allegedly then returned home to pick up an axe and attacked two other local residents, who sustained life-threatening injuries.

Prosecutor Ann-Christin Claesson told the newspaper the man did not remember the incident but had said "it cannot be someone else who did it".

It is thought the attacker had been mentally ill for some time and had recently been released from psychiatric care at the time of the incident.

Ulla Brehm, spokesperson for the Onsala police, said: “There is considerable work to be carried out. We will also knock on doors in the neighborhood to see if anyone has seen or heard anything. It is also an opportunity for people to talk to police. Many feel worried after what happened.”

Police say they have found the murder weapon, but have refused to discuss the motive at this time.

Tommy Nyman, spokesperson for the Western province’s police, said: “He knew those who were at the event. Whether he knew the other two, I can not answer, but they live in the neighborhood.”

A neighbour told local media of her surprise that something like this could happen to a town of just 11,000 residents. She said: “I'm really shocked. It is a very quiet area.”

The municipality has put in crisis aid to the affected families.

After two changes of lawyers, the defendant is now represented by Lennart Johansson. He told local media: “I can not speak about really it. But when one is suspected of such a serious crime feel is obviously not good.”

A trial was expected to begin on Friday, but Ms Claesson requested additional investigation time. In a letter to Varberg District Court, she said her technical studies were not yet complete, and that she required further time before the hearing. The case has been postponed until 18 March.

Comments