Therapist is blamed for patient's crime
A French psychiatrist has been convicted of manslaughter after her patient murdered an elderly man.
Daniele Canarelli, who had been based at the Edouard-Toulouse hospital in Marseille, was handed a one-year suspended prison sentence yesterday after she failed to recognise the danger her patient, Joel Gaillard, posed to the public.
The conviction is said to be the first of its kind in France. "If a psychiatrist lives in fear of being sentenced, it will have very real consequences and probably lead to harsher treatment of patients," Ms Canarelli's lawyer, Sylvain Pontier, said.
Mr Gaillard, who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia, killed the man after he fled from a consultation with Ms Canarelli in 2004. The court said Ms Canarelli had committed a "grave error" in not asking for Mr Gaillard to be put in a specialist medical unit.
He is in a psychiatric hospital, after being found criminally irresponsible for his actions.
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
Jennifer Lawrence face palms Emma Watson at Christian Dior show in Paris
Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
Pamplona Running of the Bulls 2014: Briton critically injured in San Fermin festival
Elephant 'cries' while being rescued after 50 years of abuse in India
£45-£57k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
£36000 - £38000 per annum: Charter Selection: Charter Selection are working wi...
£25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Exciting sports company with a strong bra...