Father's grief at murder
Sunday 31 January 1993
Stephen Norton, 28, said: 'I am devastated. You never think that it is going to happen to one of your own. I would not want another family to go through what Gill's (Stacey's mother) family and me and my family are going through at the moment. We are all numb.'
Police had believed that Stacey was throttled by her necklace becoming entangled in undergrowth after she ran away from her mother's flat in Ladybank on the Birch Hill estate in Bracknell last Sunday night. Her body was found hours after her disappearance. An initial examination suggested death was accidental, but further tests on Friday showed Stacey had been strangled.
The police last night defended the way they had handled the inquiry so far. Det Insp Martin Sawyer said that, because of a 'nagging worry', they had asked the Home Office pathologist to carry out Friday's second examination.
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: C#.Net Developer - C#, ASP.Net, HTML...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...