Flat Earth: Give us the money
Sunday 05 December 1999
Mention of Mbeki, Mandela and the ANC sounds impressive. But the letter goes on to ask for the use of the recipient's bank account for the transfer of $60m "currently kept in a security firm", and stuck in Nigeria due to exchange controls.
But as anyone knows the letter is just another stab at making a quick buck out of people's gullibility. What usually happens is that the victim is stung for "legal fees" in advance of the transfer, which never happens. Sometimes the outcome is violent: last week police rescued a Soweto man who was being held for a $500,000 ransom after responding to a letter.
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: The Organisation: The Green Recrui...
£350 - £400 per annum + competitive: Orgtel: Project Manager (specializing in ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Embedded Sof...
£50000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Working for a m...