Foreign Legion patrols Paris
Friday 10 January 1997
According to the defence ministry, there is no particular significance to read into their arrival in Paris. It is part of the regular rotation of units serving the capital in the anti-terrorist alert coded "Vigipirate".
Ministry sources said, however, that there were insufficient regular troops stationed in the Paris region to provide the cover required under Vigipirate, and other regions had been asked to help. A total of 750 troops are currently engaged in patrolling the capital, 300 of them from the Foreign Legion.
The legionnaires are paired with gendarmes or riot police (CRS) to patrol sensitive areas like stations, airports and such landmarks as the Eiffel Tower. They do not have the right to arrest or search people.
The Foreign Legion, which was founded in 1831 to engage exclusively in foreign operations, is based in Provence and numbers 8,500 men. Anyone can join, and may conceal his identity to do so, but must sign up for a minimum of five years.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela's death: South Africa and the world mourns loss of Nelson Mandela
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...