General assumes presidency
General Lamine Zeroual, the Minister of Defence, is a career artillery officer who commanded army units in every major city and was director of the country's principal military college.
It will be the General's task to talk to the banned Islamic Salvation Front - who stood to win a second round of parliamentary elections cancelled two years ago - or use his 100,000-strong army to destroy the armed Islamic uprising taking hold across Algeria.
The General warned last month that the army would not 'stand idly by' if the country were endangered. An official admitted that his appointment might be described as a 'legal' coup d'etat, but it will be welcomed by secular and middle-class Algerians.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...