Georgia troops claw back land
Tuesday 05 October 1993
The Interior Ministry said government forces had retaken the town of Khoni, within 17 miles of the main railway linking Tbilisi with the coast. But Abkhazian officials said their forces had seized tanks, heavy artillery systems and other weapons and equipment from departing Georgian troops.
Abkhazia's self-styled defence minister, Sultan Sosnaliyev, was quoted as saying the Georgian army could no longer count on sending large numbers of troops to the area as it did in August 1992. 'The territory of the sovereign republic of Abkhazia is well protected,' he said.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for the murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...