Honecker 'to blame Kremlin'
Monday 10 August 1992
BERLIN (Reuter) - The former East German leader, Erich Honecker, plans to defend himself against manslaughter charges by arguing that would-be defectors were shot on orders from Moscow, the newspaper Welt am Sonntag said.
Quoting former political associates of Mr Honecker, the newspaper said he would ask the court to accept that Moscow was ultimately responsible for East Germany's system of walls, barbed-wire fences, sentries and booby traps.
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...