Japan cult threatens `disaster'
Friday 14 April 1995
In a sign of the nervousness that has gripped Japan since the Tokyo poison gas attack, linked to the cult, police announced a massive security operation lasting three days, starting today.
The warning that an unspecified disaster would strike tomorrow was made during a television interview with an unidentified member of Aum Shinri Kyo (Supreme Truth), the group police believe responsible for nerve gas attacks on the Tokyo underground on 20 March which killed 11 people and left more than 5,000 ill.
The man, whose face was not shown, said Aum's founder, Shoko Asahara, had predicted that tomorrow's event "will make the Kobe earthquake seem as minor as a fly landing on one's cheek". He gave no details. In the January earthquake, which the sect member said Mr Asahara had predicted, about 5,500 people died.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...