Japan denies blame for Yeltsin staying away
Saturday 12 September 1992
'We plan to convey this to our foreign allies,' said Mr Kato. 'I think they will understand.' Mr Yeltsin caught Japan by surprise on Wednesday when he cancelled the visit four days before he was due to arrive.
It had become evident that the visit was doomed to failure because of differences over the islands, off northern Japan. Moscow calls them the southern Kuriles, Tokyo says they are its Northern Territories. Mr Yeltsin clearly blames Japan for the postponement. 'Japan has been too categoric about the islands,' he said yesterday.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...