Japan denies blame for Yeltsin staying away
Saturday 12 September 1992
'We plan to convey this to our foreign allies,' said Mr Kato. 'I think they will understand.' Mr Yeltsin caught Japan by surprise on Wednesday when he cancelled the visit four days before he was due to arrive.
It had become evident that the visit was doomed to failure because of differences over the islands, off northern Japan. Moscow calls them the southern Kuriles, Tokyo says they are its Northern Territories. Mr Yeltsin clearly blames Japan for the postponement. 'Japan has been too categoric about the islands,' he said yesterday.
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This firm are focussed on assis...
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A vacancy has arisen for a General Processor ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A great opportunity has arisen ...
£14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time and Part time positio...