Japanese cult makes apology for gas attacks
Thursday 02 December 1999
The cult's acting leader, Tatsuko Muraoka, said: "We now offer our sincere apology for the victims and their family members," adding that Aum would make "as much compensation as possible"; she declined to discuss how much.
Shoko Asahara, the cult's former guru, is on trial for masterminding at least 17 crimes, including the Tokyo strike that killed 12 and made thousands ill in March 1995.
A resurgence in recruiting and other activities by the cult, thought to have 2,100 members, has set off protests across the country. The Japanese parliament is considering a Bill to provide for the monitoring of groups that have committed mass murder, such as Aum. It is expected to become law by the end of the year.
Ms Muraoka called the Bill regrettable, saying it would "trespass on people's fundamental rights". (AP)
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...