Japanese protest at plan to use plutonium
Wednesday 08 July 1992
Japan's Science and Technology Agency plans to acquire some 85 tons of plutonium by 2010 for use in generating electricity to reduce reliance on imported oil and other fuels. But anti-nuclear groups have protested against the plan because of the safety risk and because of fears expressed by Japan's neighbours that the material could some day be used in nuclear weapons.
The plans for delivering the plutonium are being kept secret to protect against terrorist attacks. But news of yesterday's delivery leaked out, and protesters maintained a vigil along the 375-mile route of the convoy bringing the plutonium from the Tokai reprocessing plant.
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...