judge fires heiress's executor
Wednesday 24 May 1995
New York - A judge fired Doris Duke's butler as executor of the tobacco heiress's billion-dollar estate, saying the man could not make a distinction between her money and his. Judge Eve Preminger also fired the US Trust Company as co-executor of the Duke fortune, saying it should have served as a brake on Bernard Lafferty's spending sprees but instead loaned the butler hundreds of thousands of dollars which he squandered on such things as antiques. Once known as "the richest girl in the world", Duke died in October 1993 at age 80 after having changed her will several times, depending on whom she trusted at the time. Reuter
Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
British man confesses to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
World news in pictures
'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
Revealed: Eerie new images show forgotten French apartment that was abandoned at the outbreak of World War II and left untouched for 70 years
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...