Kenyan dissident escapes gallows
Tuesday 03 October 1995
Nakuru - Kenya's leading dissident, Koigi wa Wamwere, pictured in court in 1993 when originally charged, was jailed for four years but was spared the gallows after a capital charge that he mounted an armed raid on a police station was dropped.
Chief Magistrate William Tuiyot's sentencing perplexed many lawyers but relieved Mr Wamwere's supporters, who had feared he would be given the mandatory death penalty. "The prosecution has proved beyond reasonable doubt that the three accused committed the crime," said Mr Tuiyot. "I find the first, second and fourth accused guilty of simple robbery." But the three were not charged with "simple robbery" and defence lawyers applied for written copies of the judgment, saying they intended to appeal against the verdict. Mr Wamwere is a founder member of the Safina (Noah's Ark) Party, formed last May, though he has been in prison for the past two years. Reuter
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...