Man held over Egyptian bus attack
Tuesday 27 October 1992
Security sources said the student was being questioned after several tourists from the bus picked him out from photographs as the man they saw standing in the road whistling a signal to hidden gunmen. Police are still hunting two men they suspect of carrying out the shooting. One is the student's brother and the other is the brother of a militant killed on 6 October when he tried to throw a bomb from a train at security troops. The underground El-Gamaa el- Islamiya (the Islamic Group) claimed responsibility.
The British, US and Australian embassies yesterday warned their nationals to stay out of militant strongholds in upper Egypt.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...