Manila and rebels hail end of war
Tuesday 20 August 1996
The meeting was meant to help finalise a plan that has attracted opposition from the Christian majority on the main southern Philippine island of Mindanao. Some groups have threatened to take up arms against the pact, scheduled to be signed at the end of the month. In his speech Mr Ramos said he would not tolerate violent opposition to the pact, which involves setting up a peace and development council with Mr Misuari as its head.
Mr Misuari referred to problems that needed to be ironed out before the pact could be put into effect, although he did not specify them. "The council is ... Ramos's baby, not mine. It is up to the President to nurture this baby to maturity." The pact envisages the council as a prelude to an expanded, Muslim-led autonomous region covering 14 southern provinces.
Muslims regard Mindanao and its nearby islands as their traditional homeland, even though they are in a minority there following decades of Christian migration.
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
FBI finds possible human remains at former home of late gangster James Burke - the man who inspired Goodfellas
'There's something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland ahead of Donside by-election
World news in pictures
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle United's star talent-spotter Graham Carr on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout at St James' Park
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
TBC: Capital Refrigeration Services Ltd: Capital Refrigeration Services requir...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: We are currently recruiting fo...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: . Blackpool
£5520 - £31200 per annum: Randstad Education London: If you are then please ap...