Marcos delays husband's burial
Saturday 29 August 1992
'I will not subject my husband to that indignity of being put in a cargo plane,' the widow of the former dictator said in a statement yesterday. The family had planned to bring the former president's remains home next Tuesday for burial in his northern home province of Ilocos Norte after a nine-day wake.
The Marcoses have been accused of plundering dollars 5bn ( pounds 2.5bn) from the Philippines treasury. The presidential commission on good government, which is trying to recover the family's alleged ill-gotten wealth, began negotiations with Mrs Marcos's lawyers on a possible settlement, officials said.
Jeremy Paxman reveals he has heard senior Tories calling activists 'swivel-eyed loons'
Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
X marks the spot: The find that could rewrite Australian history
'There are empty spaces where there used to be living rooms, bedrooms, classrooms': President Barack Obama says America is praying for Oklahoma in wake of tornado that claimed 91 lives
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 Why Arsène Wenger must spend to put icing on the cake and buy likes of Stevan Jovetic for Arsenal
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£37,382-£44,607: UCL Qatar: The appointment is full-time on UCL Grade 8. The s...
£22500 - £50000 per annum: Randstad Education Plymouth: Are you a Geography, H...
£22500 - £50000 per annum: Randstad Education Plymouth: We are working with a ...
£22500 - £50000 per annum: Randstad Education Plymouth: This Cornwall based Se...