Menchu calls for a purge
Tuesday 08 June 1993
Guatemala's new President, Ramiro de Leon Carpio, must live up to expectations and purge those responsible for the recent crisis, the Nobel Prize winner Rigoberta Menchu says, AFP reports from Guatemala City.
Ms Menchu said that Mr de Leon must prosecute those involved in former president Jorge Serrano's seizure of near-dictatorial powers which plunged the country into confusion two weeks ago, as well as those who toppled him a week later.
'If there is no purging I think the president will see people take to the streets pretty soon,' said Ms Menchu, who described recent events as 'the worst crisis the country has ever seen'.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer (TSQL, S...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Front-End UI/U...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C#.NET ...