Menendez brothers will not be executed
Thursday 18 April 1996
The eight-man, four-woman jury deliberated for more than two days before reaching its decision, which was read out in the Van Nuys Superior Court.
Judge Stanley Weisberg will formally sentence the brothers at another hearing on 2 July, when the defence is expected to file a motion for a new trial.
Lyle Menendez, 28, and his 25-year-old brother, Erik, were convicted of first-degree murder with special circumstances by the same jury last month, making them eligible for the death penalty under California law. The brothers admitted killing their parents but said they did so after years of sexual and psychological abuse. Reuter
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has ari...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An On-line Sales & Customer Ser...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the largest hospitality companies...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As a result of significant cont...