Mexican Election: Candidates for president: Zedillo: substitute who is seen as a colourless figure
Monday 15 August 1994
Amid clear signs of a split between PRI 'dinosaurs' and progressives - the latter including Colosio and outgoing President Carlos Salinas de Gortari - there were widespread rumours that party hardliners had been behind the murder of Colosio and his replacement by Mr Zedillo. Questions were also raised as to why Mr Zedillo, as campaign manager, was not with Colosio on the day of his murder. Mr Zedillo, who has a postgraduate degree from the University of Bradford, is seen as a colourless figure still living in Colosio's shadow. Even PRI supporters are surprised by poll findings that put him ahead of the opposition. His campaign slogan is: 'For the welfare of your family'.
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + 30 days holiday: Ashdown Group: Finance Manager - ...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: 3rd Line Support Engineer / Network ...
£26000 - £33000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Web Developer is required to ...