Activists report clashes between Syrian army units
Thursday 28 April 2011
A witness and human rights groups say there have been clashes between Syrian army units over the crackdown on anti-government protesters in the southern city of Daraa.
Ausama Monajed, a spokesman for a group of opposition figures in Syria and abroad, said Thursday that his group has received reports of the clashes this week since President Bashar Assad sent the army into Daraa on Monday. The deployment was a clear escalation in his crackdown on the uprising.
The reports were corroborated by two witnesses and an activist who spoke to The Associated Press. They both asked that their names not be used for fear of reprisals.
The infighting is significant because Assad's army has been seen as a bastion of support for the regime.
Oscar Pistorius was 'gun-toting', 'trigger-happy' and 'combustible' claims Reeva's mother
Eleven members of same family hospitalised after eating deadly pufferfish
Phone-hacking: The Piers Morgan connection - Mirror admits some stories during Morgan's tenure may have been obtained by illegal means
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 1 McKamey Manor: This 'extreme' haunted house is the stuff of nightmares
- 2 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...