Activists report clashes between Syrian army units
Thursday 28 April 2011
A witness and human rights groups say there have been clashes between Syrian army units over the crackdown on anti-government protesters in the southern city of Daraa.
Ausama Monajed, a spokesman for a group of opposition figures in Syria and abroad, said Thursday that his group has received reports of the clashes this week since President Bashar Assad sent the army into Daraa on Monday. The deployment was a clear escalation in his crackdown on the uprising.
The reports were corroborated by two witnesses and an activist who spoke to The Associated Press. They both asked that their names not be used for fear of reprisals.
The infighting is significant because Assad's army has been seen as a bastion of support for the regime.
Holborn fire: Chaos as 2,000 people evacuated to escape toxic smoke filling central London
University of Cambridge: Remains of 1,300 scholars are found under building
April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
April Fools' Day 2015 live: The best pranks and fake stories from around the world
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...