Air strikes kill dozens in northern Syria
Strikes hit a busy market area killing at least 29 civilians
Air strikes have killed at least 29 people, most of them civilians, in the Syrian city of Aleppo, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Dozens have been wounded in at least six strikes on towns near the outskirts of Aleppo, the pro-opposition monitoring group said.
“Some of the strikes in the neighbourhood of Tareeq al-Bab appeared to be targeting rebel headquarters but instead the rockets fell in a busy street and caused heavy civilian casualties,” Rami Abdelrahman, head of the Observatory, told Reuters.
The air strikes are believed to have been carried out by forces loyal to Syrian president Bashar al-Assad. Syrian state television confirmed fighter jets were in the north and had targeted "a number of terrorists" in Aleppo.
Bombs hit a crowded vegetable market, killing 14 people, he said. A separate air strike on the town of al-Bab near Aleppo left 15 dead.
Another activist group, the Aleppo Media Network, confirmed the air strikes and posted a video of what it says was the aftermath of the al-Bab raid. Plumes of smoke are seen rising from ground, strewn with twisted metal and chunks of broken-up concrete.
Additional reporting by agencies
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher (mater...
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for an ...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: A West Yorkshire School i...