Assad agrees to foreign observers
Tuesday 06 December 2011
Syria has "responded positively" to an Arab League request to send observers as part of an initiative to end eight months of violence, a foreign ministry spokesman in Damascus said yesterday.
Speaking after the League's deadline expired for Syria to accept the peace plan, the spokesman said he expected a deal to be signed "soon".
Damascus announced it had conducted mass military manoeuvres over the weekend in an apparent show of force against pro-democracy protesters.
The Arab League had given Syria until Sunday to sign its peace initiative and accept an observer mission, or face further sanctions. AP
Hacking Trial: Rebekah Brooks, Raisa and a new twist in the saga of a horse fit for a Prime Minister
Israel-Gaza conflict: Palestinian death toll now exceeds 500 – but Israel fights on
Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Blogger captures footage ‘showing BUK missile launcher that shot down jet’ now back in Russia
- 1 Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
- 2 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 3 Saneie Masilela, 9, marries Helen Shabangu, 53 years his senior, for the second time
- 4 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 5 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Scheme Manager (BREEAM)...
Flexible, depending on experience: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: T...
£850 - £950 per day: Orgtel: Programme Director - Conduct Risk - Banking - £85...
£100 - £110 per day: Orgtel: Project Coordinator/Order Entry Hampshire