Assad agrees to foreign observers
Tuesday 06 December 2011
Syria has "responded positively" to an Arab League request to send observers as part of an initiative to end eight months of violence, a foreign ministry spokesman in Damascus said yesterday.
Speaking after the League's deadline expired for Syria to accept the peace plan, the spokesman said he expected a deal to be signed "soon".
Damascus announced it had conducted mass military manoeuvres over the weekend in an apparent show of force against pro-democracy protesters.
The Arab League had given Syria until Sunday to sign its peace initiative and accept an observer mission, or face further sanctions. AP
Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
UK weather: Warning for more snow and ice as freezing temperatures and gales hit Britain
UK weather: Travel chaos continues as King's Cross train delays add to snow on roads
The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
North Korea calls Barack Obama 'a monkey' in latest attack as 'The Interview' row festers
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Sussex couple die in suspected Christmas Day 'suicide pact'
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...