Assad agrees to foreign observers
Tuesday 06 December 2011
Syria has "responded positively" to an Arab League request to send observers as part of an initiative to end eight months of violence, a foreign ministry spokesman in Damascus said yesterday.
Speaking after the League's deadline expired for Syria to accept the peace plan, the spokesman said he expected a deal to be signed "soon".
Damascus announced it had conducted mass military manoeuvres over the weekend in an apparent show of force against pro-democracy protesters.
The Arab League had given Syria until Sunday to sign its peace initiative and accept an observer mission, or face further sanctions. AP
Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
Mohammed Emwazi: Family of man named as 'Jihadi John' described by neighbours as 'normal Muslim family'
Mohammed Emwazi: Nine things we know about man named as Isis militant 'Jihadi John'
- 1 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 2 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...