Assad makes rare public appearance at mosque
The Syrian President Bashar al-Assad tried keep up the pretence that it was business as usual yesterday as he attended prayers for the Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr, but the rare public appearance gave clues to the pressures he is facing.
As demonstrators took to the streets across the country on the feast day that marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan, state media broadcast footage of the embattled premier in public for the first time since a bomb blast killed four of his closest advisors.
And activists jumped on the absence of the vice-president at his side as proof that the regime stalwart has defected, while the choice of mosque was also cited as evidence that his grip on security has loosened.
Flanked by ministers and religious officials, Assad sat cross-legged as the sermon described Syria as the victim of a conspiracy perpetrated by the West, Israel and the Arab world to bring terrorism to its shores.
International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
International Women’s Day: 'When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch' - feminist quotes from female icons to inspire you
International Women's Day 2014: Cherie Blair - ‘Today is a chance to see how far we still have to go’
Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
- 5 Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...