Baghdad votes to be recounted
An Iraqi election review panel yesterday ordered a recount of votes cast in Baghdad in the 7 March election, raising the prospect of a change in results that gave a cross-sectarian group backed by Sunnis a slim lead.
Any revision could inflame sectarian tensions at a time when Iraq is emerging from the worst of the fighting between minority Sunnis and majority Shias that was unleashed after the 2003 US-led invasion.
The electoral commissioner Hamdiya al-Husseini said the manual recount of more than 2.5 million ballots would begin immediately, but she was not sure how long it would take.
The capital accounts for over a fifth of seats in the 325-seat parliament, making it a key prize, and the Shia Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's State of Law alliance had sought a recount after coming a close second in the election.
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
£65000 - £80000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Finance Director required to jo...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity fo...
£50000 per annum + 26 days holiday,pension: Ashdown Group: A highly successful...
£27000 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: A Quality Technician...