Beirut car bomb death toll rises as investigators consider suicide possibility
DNA tests conducted on body parts discovered near the vehicle that blew up yesterday, killing at least 24
The death toll from a massive car bomb in Beirut has risen to at least 24, with another 335 people wounded.
Government investigators are studying CCTV footage from the moments before Thursday’s devastating blast in attempts to establish whether it was a suicide attack.
Interior Minister Marwan Charbel said they believed they had identified the van involved, and were not ruling anything out regarding the method used to set off the explosion.
“The first hypothesis is that the driver blew himself up, while the second hypothesis says that the car may have been blown up from a distance,” Lebanon's National News Agency quoted Charbel as saying.
Reporters who arrived at the scene minutes after the explosion saw a burnt-out car near the centre of the road, suggesting it was being driven when it blew up.
Hezbollah parliamentarian Ali Ammar told reporters in south Beirut on Friday that the death toll had reached 24, while Health Minister Ali Hassan Khalil said 21 bodies were taken to hospitals and another 335 wounded people had been treated.
The discrepancy may be the result of some bodies being too badly damaged in the explosion to be collected or identified.
Among the dead were a family of five - a father, mother and their three daughters - who were in their car as the blast destroyed several surrounding vehicles and briefly engulfed the lower floors of adjacent building in flames, trapping residents.
Forensic investigators, emergency workers and security forces were still working at the site on Friday morning, amid burnt out cars and charred facades of residential buildings.
Nearby, masked men fired in the air as the first funeral processions for drove slowly through the streets of densely populated south Beirut.
The blast, a month after another car bomb wounded more than 50 people in the same district of the Lebanese capital, came amid sectarian tensions over the intervention of Shi'ite Muslim Hezbollah against Sunni rebels in Syria's civil war.
A Sunni Islamist group calling itself the Brigades of Aisha claimed responsibility for the attack and promised more operations against Hezbollah.
Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah is expected to give his response later on Friday in an address marking the seventh anniversary of the end of the group’s 2006 war with Israel.
Additional reporting by agencies
Most expensive city to live in for expatriates: Luanda, Angola takes number one spot with Hong Kong and Zurich in top three
Video of Irish 'professional boxer' fighting Istanbul neighbourhood goes viral in Turkey
Irish tourist filmed fighting with shopkeepers in Turkey says 'they messed with the wrong man'
House of Lords: Outcry as donors, fixers and MPs caught up in expenses scandal are handed peerages
Moody neurotics are more likely to be creative geniuses, study says
- 1 Hair loss explained: How and why men go bald
- 2 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe the Stark may have a twin sister
- 3 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 4 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 5 Russia 'accidentally reveals' number of its soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine
£13000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to be part of a ...
£19000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT and Telecoms company ar...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...