Suicide bombers kill four near Beirut's Kuwaiti Embassy and Iran cultural centre
Wednesday 19 February 2014
A blast in a Shiite district in southern Beirut on Wednesday killed at least six people, including the two suicide bombers, security officials said — the latest apparent attack linked to the civil war in neighboring Syria.
An Associated Press photographer in the area said he heard two explosions near the Kuwaiti Embassy and Iran's cultural centre. Fire engines and ambulances rushed to the area and were seen evacuating some of the wounded in stretchers. Soldiers also deployed and cordoned the area.
Officials said another six people were wounded. They spoke anonymously as they were not authorized to talk to the press.
A wave of bombings linked to the war in neighboring Syria has struck Lebanon over the past few months, killing and wounding scores of people. Many have hit Shiite areas.
One of the deadliest attacks occurred in November when two suicide attackers blew themselves outside the Iranian Embassy in Beirut, killing 23 people and wounded dozens.
Wednesday's explosion in the Beir Hassan area was few hundred metres from the Iranian embassy.
Iran is a major backer of Hezbollah, a Lebanese Shiite militia. Both are allies with Syrian President Bashar Assad.
Syrian rebels have vowed to strike against Hezbollah strongholds in Lebanon in retaliation for its participation in the war.
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Analyst is required ...
£16000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To succeed, you will need to ha...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join an award winni...
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...