Benjamin Netanyahu appoints Tzipi Livni to his coalition government
Wednesday 20 February 2013
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu indicated a change of policy towards the Palestinians yesterday when he appointed the dovish former foreign minister Tzipi Livni to his coalition government.
The peace process has stalled during the last four years of Netanyahu’s tenure, but bringing in Ms Livni suggests that the Israeli line is softening. Ms Livni, who as the leader of the Kadima party, won most seats in the 2009 election but she was unable to form a government. She will serve as Justice Minister with special responsibility for the peace talks.
The appointment is the first since Israel’s general election last month. Mr Netanyahu is thought to favour a broad coalition but a number of smaller parties which are potential coalition partners disagree strongly on a number of issues.
Ms Livni’s appointment comes a month ahead of a visit to Israel and the West Bank by Barack Obama. His arrival has increased hopes of a breakthrough in the moribund peace process.
Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
Gary Glitter sentenced to 16 years in jail for historic sex attacks on schoolgirls
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...