Blast at Iranian refinery as Ahmadinejad visits
Wednesday 25 May 2011
A lethal explosion at an Iranian oil refinery during a visit by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad yesterday left the President unhurt but delivered an embarrassing blow to his drive to increase gasoline output.
Mr Ahmadinejad appeared on state television shortly after the blast, lauding the inauguration of Iran's latest refinery upgrade. But two MPs said the plant in Abadan, south-west Iran, was unsafe and should not have been rushed into production. The semi-official Mehr news agency, which initially put the death toll at two, said a gas leak had caused the blast.
Greek hospitals cannot afford painkillers, scissors or sheets as budget cuts bite
Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 1 Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
- 2 New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
- 3 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...