Car bomb attacks kill five in Iraqi city
Sunday 26 May 2013
A car bomb has hit a patrol in Mosul, one of three attacks in the northern Iraqi city that left five dead.
A police officer said the car bomb went off early this morning at a house as a joint army-police unit was conducting door-to-door searches, killing two policemen and one soldier. He said 21 people, including 4 civilians, were wounded.
In the city centre militants gunned down a policeman in his car. Authorities also found a body floating in the Tigris river, shot at close range with the hands tied behind the back.
Mosul, some 225 miles northwest of Baghdad, is a former stronghold of Sunni militants.
A medical official confirmed the casualty figures.
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
VMAs 2015: Kanye West runs for president, Nicki Minaj calls out Miley Cyrus and the list of winners in full
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will be working with a 8 st...
£8000 - £12000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A unique opportunity has arisen ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An exceptional opportunity has arisen for a pa...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This provider of designer kitch...