CIA steps up delivery of arms to Syrian rebels
Thursday 12 September 2013
The CIA has been delivering light machine guns and other small arms to Syrian rebels for several weeks, a development that marks a major escalation of the US role in the civil war.
The agency has also arranged for the Syrian opposition to receive anti-tank weaponry such as rocket-propelled grenades through a third party, presumably one of the Gulf countries that has been arming the rebels, a senior US intelligence official and two former intelligence officials said today.
A rebel commander General Salim Idris told NPR, an American radio syndicator, today that rebels had received no such US aid.
Officials said the aid has been arriving for more than a month, much of it delivered through a third party, which could explain why General Idris does not believe the US delivered the aid.
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...