Cleric's release after murder case sparks anger
Monday 04 February 2013
Online activists in Saudi Arabia are calling for harsher punishments for child abuse following reports that a prominent cleric received a light sentence after confessing to beating his five-year-old daughter to death.
The social media campaign which was gaining momentum last night is the latest attempt to pressure the kingdom's ultraconservative rulers.
Saudi media said Fayhan al-Ghamdi, a frequent guest on Islamic television programmes, was arrested in November on charges of killing the girl. Reports said he questioned the child's virginity. He was reported to have been freed last week after serving a short prison term and agreeing to pay $50,000 (£31,000) in "blood money" to avoid a possible death sentence.
The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
Czech police haul migrants off trains to Germany and 'write numbers on their arms in ink'
Trans actress Candis Cayne reveals she walked out of a Curb Your Enthusiasm audition over an offensive joke
More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
- 5 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This recognized leader in providing software s...
£40000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT support company has a n...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A works engineer is required in a progressive ...