Copycat fears as second veteran self-immolates
Monday 23 July 2012
A wheelchair-bound war veteran set himself alight at a bus stop near Tel Aviv yesterday, sustaining serious burns, two days after a protester died of injuries from a similar incident.
Police and medics said the man was in his 50s and that passers-by put out the flames that engulfed him. He suffered burns over 80 per cent of his body.
Dudi Gilboa, a member of an Israeli disabled veterans group who knows the man, said: "His story is a difficult one. His emotional and economic situations weren't easy."
Mr Gilboa told Israel Radio that he and the man had been embroiled in a dispute with authorities in charge of rehabilitating wounded veterans.
"We have mourned our friends in battle; we don't want to lose them like this," Mr Gilboa said, echoing the concerns of many in Israel that the 14 July self-immolation of Moshe Silman, at a march against rising housing and food prices, might be copied.
Mr Silman, 57, who was left destitute after a number of failed business ventures, died of his injuries on Friday.
Hopes raised for treatment of severe amnesia after scientists retrieve lost memory – using light
Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
Poorest part of London is wealthier than the richest parts of Northern Ireland and Wales
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...