Copycat fears as second veteran self-immolates
Monday 23 July 2012
A wheelchair-bound war veteran set himself alight at a bus stop near Tel Aviv yesterday, sustaining serious burns, two days after a protester died of injuries from a similar incident.
Police and medics said the man was in his 50s and that passers-by put out the flames that engulfed him. He suffered burns over 80 per cent of his body.
Dudi Gilboa, a member of an Israeli disabled veterans group who knows the man, said: "His story is a difficult one. His emotional and economic situations weren't easy."
Mr Gilboa told Israel Radio that he and the man had been embroiled in a dispute with authorities in charge of rehabilitating wounded veterans.
"We have mourned our friends in battle; we don't want to lose them like this," Mr Gilboa said, echoing the concerns of many in Israel that the 14 July self-immolation of Moshe Silman, at a march against rising housing and food prices, might be copied.
Mr Silman, 57, who was left destitute after a number of failed business ventures, died of his injuries on Friday.
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by police in Ohio park
Heroin to be prescribed to Canadian addicts by doctors
Audacious North Korean kidnap plot foiled at Paris airport as 'Asian men' attempted to bundle student onto plane
Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
Revealed: the case against Bill Cosby – through the stories of his accusers
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by police in Ohio park
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
£30000 - £60000 per annum + Excellent: Austen Lloyd: Employment Solicitor - Ke...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Hi All, I'm currently recruiting for t...
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: HAMPSHIRE MARKET TOWN - A highly attr...
£23000 - £30000 per annum + pension, 25days holiday: Ashdown Group: An industr...