Damascus recalls envoy to Washington
Diplomatic relations between the US and Syria deteriorated as Damascus recalled its envoy to Washington yesterday.
The retaliatory move came hours after the US accused Syria of leading an "incitement campaign" which drove its ambassador to leave Damascus amid growing security concerns.
Robert Ford, who has repeatedly denounced Syria's President, Bashar al-Assad, over crackdowns against pro-democracy protesters, left Syria on Saturday in response to "credible threats against his personal safety". Mr Ford and his aides were attacked with rocks by demonstrators as they attempted to visit a political opposition figure last month.
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...