Former Israeli president Moshe Katsav appeals rape conviction
Sunday 07 August 2011
Israel's Supreme Court has opened deliberations on former Israeli President Moshe Katsav's appeal of his seven-year sentence for rape and other sexual offences.
The hearing today is pivotal for Katsav, who was sentenced in March for raping an employee when he was a Cabinet minister in 1998. He was also convicted and sentenced of sex offences against two other women that occurred while he was president between 2000 and 2007.
A Supreme Court judge in May ruled that Katsav could stay out of jail while he appealed the verdicts and sentence.
Katsav, 65, has denied any wrongdoing and says he is a victim of a political witch hunt. He is the country's highest ranking official ever ordered to prison.
Isis releases first video showing the stoning of woman accused of committing adultery as her father shouts 'don't call me Dad'
This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
FCKH8's provocative anti-sexism video showing young girls swearing reinstated by YouTube
Diwali: What is the festival of lights – and how is it celebrated around the world?
Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo shot dead at war memorial
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
£45000 per annum: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Datacentre Consultant (Datacentre,...
£100 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Cardiff: Randstad Education Cardiff is...
£45000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: .NET Develope...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + bonus + benefits + OT: Ampersand Consulting LLP: C...