Four die during fierce fighting in Damascus
Tuesday 20 March 2012
At least four people died in central Damascus yesterday as opposition fighters and government forces clashed in the fiercest fighting to date in the heart of the capital.
Syria's official Sana news agency claimed security forces had stormed the hideout of an "armed terrorist" group in Mezzeh, but opposition activists said the gunfight began when rebels fired a rocket grenade at the home of an army general.
Syrian authorities have been at pains to try to isolate the heart of Damascus from the unrest gripping the country.
The City of the Monkey God: Archaeologists claim to have found city lost for 1,000 years in remote Honduran jungle
Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
Bubonic plague-carrying fleas found on New York City rats
London property boom built on dirty money
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This firm are focussed on assis...
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A vacancy has arisen for a General Processor ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A great opportunity has arisen ...
£14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time and Part time positio...