French foreign minister warns Syria over chemical weapons
Monday 03 September 2012
France's foreign minister has said western powers are preparing a tough response in case Syrian president Bashar Assad's regime deploys chemical or biological weapons in its civil war.
Laurent Fabius said "our response ... would be massive and blistering".
Mr Fabius, speaking on RMC radio, said: "We are discussing this notably with our American and English partners."
US president Barack Obama has said that if Mr Assad's regime were to use chemical or biological weapons, this would be a "red line" issue.
Mr Fabius said Russia and China are "of the same position", but acknowledged frustration at their continuing support for Mr Assad.
Syria's leadership has said it could use chemical or biological weapons if it was attacked from outside.
Syria is believed to have nerve agents as well as mustard gas and Scud missiles capable of delivering lethal chemicals.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...