French foreign minister warns Syria over chemical weapons
Monday 03 September 2012
France's foreign minister has said western powers are preparing a tough response in case Syrian president Bashar Assad's regime deploys chemical or biological weapons in its civil war.
Laurent Fabius said "our response ... would be massive and blistering".
Mr Fabius, speaking on RMC radio, said: "We are discussing this notably with our American and English partners."
US president Barack Obama has said that if Mr Assad's regime were to use chemical or biological weapons, this would be a "red line" issue.
Mr Fabius said Russia and China are "of the same position", but acknowledged frustration at their continuing support for Mr Assad.
Syria's leadership has said it could use chemical or biological weapons if it was attacked from outside.
Syria is believed to have nerve agents as well as mustard gas and Scud missiles capable of delivering lethal chemicals.
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
- 5 Mrs Doubtfire 2: Robin Williams set to star in sequel to 1993 comedy
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...