Handover ends Abu Ghraib era
Friday 16 July 2010
The United States handed over the last detention facility under its control to Iraqi authorities yesterday, a milestone in Iraq's push for complete sovereignty seven years after the US-led invasion to topple Saddam Hussein.
The handover of the base near Baghdad's international airport marks the end of a troubling chapter in the US presence in the country – one defined for years by the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal.
Maj. Gen. Jerry Cannon said the Iraqis were ready for the added responsibility. "There is overwhelming evidence they are equipped, prepared and poised to take over."
Eleven members of same family hospitalised after eating deadly pufferfish
Oscar Pistorius was 'gun-toting', 'trigger-happy' and 'combustible' claims Reeva's mother
Phone-hacking: The Piers Morgan connection - Mirror admits some stories during Morgan's tenure may have been obtained by illegal means
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...