Handover ends Abu Ghraib era
Friday 16 July 2010
The United States handed over the last detention facility under its control to Iraqi authorities yesterday, a milestone in Iraq's push for complete sovereignty seven years after the US-led invasion to topple Saddam Hussein.
The handover of the base near Baghdad's international airport marks the end of a troubling chapter in the US presence in the country – one defined for years by the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal.
Maj. Gen. Jerry Cannon said the Iraqis were ready for the added responsibility. "There is overwhelming evidence they are equipped, prepared and poised to take over."
Ukraine crisis: Helicopter gunships take country closer to all-out war
Undertaker dead hoax: WWE wrestler not 'found dead in home' as Facebook and Twitter reports
Malaysia Airlines MH370 co-pilot's phone 'was on and made contact with network tower' 30 minutes after plane turned around
Oscar Pistorius trial: Reeva Steenkamp told athlete she 'loved him' for first time in Valentine's Day card
Lunar eclipse 2014: Images of last night's spectacular 'blood moon'
- 1 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 2 The best movies on Netflix: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 What's in the safe? Man live-photographs cracking of mysterious locked box on Reddit
- 5 Drugs giant GlaxoSmithKline bribed doctors to boost sales, says whistleblower
£100 - £165 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for a Teacher of...
Main Teacher Pay Scale : Randstad Education Leeds: English Teacher RequiredImm...
£90 - £120 per day + tax deductable expenses: Randstad Education Leicester: KS...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + excellent company benefits : Pro-Recruitment Group...