Hezbollah claim eagle was Israeli spy
Thursday 17 October 2013
Eagles endangered by pesticides, electrical wires and poachers now apparently face a new threat: Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas. The group's Al-Manar website boasted of capturing an eagle with Israeli labelling with a transmission device on its back. It claimed the bird was an Israeli spy.
But Israeli ornithologist Yossi Leshem said he was tracking the bird for research and was "incredibly frustrated" it was harmed. Mr Leshem has specialised in the Bonelli's eagle for decades and says just nine pairs of mating age remain in Israel. He said Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Turkey all made similar unfounded espionage claims about migrating birds from Israel before.
BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
Budget 2015: George Osborne to axe subsidies for higher income earners in social housing
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 5 German man found living with 300 rats in tiny apartment
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...