Homs MP defies Assad to defect
Tuesday 17 January 2012
A Syrian MP has fled the country to join the opposition against President Bashar al-Assad, saying the people are suffering sweeping human rights violations.
Imad Ghalioun, who represents Homs, said the city, which has been one of the most active in the uprising against Mr Assad's rule, is a disaster after months of being a focus of the regime's fierce crackdown.
"The Syrian people are living their worst period," Mr Ghalioun said, from Egypt. AP
Malaysia Airlines plane crash exposes alarming flaw in airline security: over one billion flights made last year without stolen-passport check
International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
Teacher shows sex tape featuring herself to pupils during class by mistake
Swarm of killer bees sting woman 1,000 times
Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Russia has made 'big miscalculation' over Ukraine warns Hague
- 5 Swarm of killer bees sting woman 1,000 times
£120 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Group: Geography TeacherApril 2014Mate...
£17000 - £30000 per annum + Daily rate TBC: Randstad Education Reading: Teache...
£50 - £65 per day: Randstad Education Group: Secondary Teaching Assistant (EAL...
£55000 per annum + superb benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Want to work in a L...