In Pictures: Jewish festival of Purim
The Independent picture desk selects the best images from the festival
Ivy Lahon is Associate Picture Editor for The Independent and i and has been with the newspaper since 2004. Before joining the paper full time Ivy picture edited for The Guardian and Time Out and spent 2 years working with Amnesty International on various projects including the first book by former Amnesty Secretary General Irene Khan and the imagery for Amnesty’s 50th anniversary in 2011. She has an MA in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography and has exhibited her own photography in the past.
Sunday 24 February 2013
The religious festival of Purim, which ends tonight, commemorates the deliverance of Jewish people living in Persia as recounted in the Book of Esther.
Customs include: sending food parcels and giving to charity, dressing up in masks and costumes, eating a festive meal, and public celebration.
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...