In Pictures: Jewish festival of Purim
The Independent picture desk selects the best images from the festival
Ivy Lahon is Associate Picture Editor for The Independent and i and has been with the newspaper since 2004. Before joining the paper full time Ivy picture edited for The Guardian and Time Out and spent 2 years working with Amnesty International on various projects including the first book by former Amnesty Secretary General Irene Khan and the imagery for Amnesty’s 50th anniversary in 2011. She has an MA in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography and has exhibited her own photography in the past.
Sunday 24 February 2013
The religious festival of Purim, which ends tonight, commemorates the deliverance of Jewish people living in Persia as recounted in the Book of Esther.
Customs include: sending food parcels and giving to charity, dressing up in masks and costumes, eating a festive meal, and public celebration.
'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
Duchess of Alba dead: Billionaire Spanish duchess who lived life by her own rules, dies at 88
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Mike Nichols dead: The Graduate director dies suddenly following cardiac arrest
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 Iggy Azalea responds to Eminem rape lyrics: 'I'm bored of old men threatening young women'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Winnie the Pooh banned from Polish playground for being 'inappropriate hermaphrodite'
£8 - £12 per hour: Recruitment Genius: To assist a young family with the care ...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Executive is required...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Argyll Scott International: My client, a world lead...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: My client, a world leading services pr...