Iranian police arrest 40 after mosque bombings
Saturday 17 July 2010
Police in Iran have arrested 40 suspects after the devastating twin bombings of a mosque in the south-eastern city of Zahedan, according to an Iranian news agency.
Ahmad Reza Radan, Iran's deputy police chief, told the semi-official Fars agency that the suspects "intended to create insecurity in the city of Zahedan after the bombing".
The blasts killed 27 people outside a mosque on Thursday. A Sunni insurgency called Jundallah claimed responsibility.
Mr Radan also said today that two policemen were among the dead.
Earlier reports said members of the elite Revolutionary Guards were also killed.
Jundallah, which says it is fighting for the rights of the mainly Sunni Baluchi minority, said the attack was revenge for the execution of its leader Abdulmalik Rigi in June.
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...