Israel 'was ready to return Golan Heights to Syria'
Saturday 13 October 2012
Benjamin Netanyahu was ready to hand back the Golan Heights to Syria in return for peace, it was reported yesterday. The Israeli Prime Minister's secret contacts with Damascus started in 2010 but ended when the Syrian uprising began last year.
The extent of Mr Netanyahu's offer will shock his supporters. In public, he has always backed Israel's annexation of the Golan Heights, and excoriated former Prime Minister Ehud Barak for reportedly offering to return the strategic plateau in 2000.
But the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper reported that Mr Netanyahu surprised US officials by agreeing to withdraw to the pre-June 1967 border.
International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
Malaysia Airlines: Search for true identity of passengers with stolen passports launched as terrorism concern grows
Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
International Women’s Day: 'When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch' - feminist quotes from female icons to inspire you
Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Dear 'The Sun', breast cancer isn't sexy
- 4 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...