Israelis welcome Pope's condemnation of Nazis
Saturday 16 May 2009
Pope Benedict XVI made a personal and potent denunciation of the Holocaust yesterday, vowing to Israelis that the brutal extermination of Jews by the "godless" Nazi regime would never be forgotten or denied.
His language appeared to lift Jewish dismay over earlier remarks about the murder of six million Jews by his fellow Germans, which to Israelis had sounded chilly and impersonal.
His words were welcomed by the Holocaust memorial chairman Avner Shalev who said they "strengthen the Pope's message about the importance of remembering the Holocaust" and who rated the visit a "very positive and significant event". Ending a Holy Land pilgrimage which he said made "powerful impressions" of hope and sadness, the pontiff also appealed for peace between Israelis and Palestinians so each can live in their own state. In the final act of worship of his visit, the Pope preached a message of hope for all mankind at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem's Old City.
PlayStation and Xbox hacked by Lizard Squad
Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
UK weather: Travel chaos continues as King's Cross train delays add to snow on roads
The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 1 The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
- 2 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 3 Andy Murray takes to Twitter to show off his Christmas jumper
- 4 Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'
- 5 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...