Kurdish blast kills at least seven soldiers
Wednesday 26 September 2012
At least seven soldiers were killed in the eastern Turkish city of Tunceli yesterday when their armoured truck drove past a vehicle laden with explosives detonated by suspected Kurdish militants.
Ambulances arrived on the scene of the explosion as flames rose from two vehicles on a road through a thinly populated part of the provincial city.
Militants from the Kurdistan Workers Party, considered a terrorist group by Turkey, the United States and the European Union, have carried out a wave of attacks on military targets in recent months, stepping up their 28-year-old armed campaign.
The recent fighting has been some of the heaviest since the PKK took up arms in 1984 with the aim of carving out a Kurdish state.
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how Corporation is funded
Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
Someone has actually got a tattoo of that dress
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
White and gold or blue and black – what colour is the dress? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 1 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 2 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 3 Dakota Johnson's 'It's only Isis' Saturday Night Live sketch sparks controversy
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established managed services IT...
£15000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Advisor is r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This well established construction equipment d...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitm...