Man stranded for 16 days at Dubai airport
Thursday 24 October 2013
A Syrian man has been stranded at Dubai airport for 16 days in a case with echoes of the Tom Hanks film The Terminal.
Wasfi Tayseer Jarad has been stuck at the airport’s Terminal 2 since being freed from prison after serving time for a drugs conviction and issued with a deportation order, the English-language Gulf News reported.
With his native Syria in political turmoil, authorities in Dubai gave the 34-year-old the option to travel to anywhere that would take him. But his passport has expired, and Jordan – where his family had fled from Syria’s civil war – refused to let him in, as did Turkey and Lebanon.
Mr Jarad said he had been living on a hamburger a day and washing in toilets while his family tried to get him a new passport. He had been offered a flight to Latakia, Syria, but said he feared for his life there, telling the paper: “I wish I could go back to Dubai jail.”
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
£600 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Conduct Risk Liaison Manager - Banking - London -...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: CITY - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION - GLOBAL...
£65000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: The client is a...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A well-established software house ba...