Middle East peace process dealt a blow as Israel gives go-ahead for 300 new homes in West Bank
Jerusalem
Thursday 09 May 2013
Related articles
Hope earlier in the week that a decision to freeze the construction of new Israeli settler homes in the occupied West Bank could renew the moribund peace process were dealt a blow earlier today when it transpired that permission had been granted to build nearly 300 new houses close to the Palestinian administrative capital, Ramallah.
The announcement will disappoint Americans – especially the Secretary of State, John Kerry - who have spent two months attempting to broker a new deal between the Israeli and Palestinian leaderships.
The Palestinians maintain a long held position that new talks are only possible with a new moratorium of settlement building. The Americans and Israelis say new talks should go ahead without pre-conditions. Settlements are considered illegal under international law.
Israel’s civil administration yesterday approved a plan to build 296 new houses in the settlement of Beit El. The scheme – which is the first settlement plan to be approved by Israel’s new government since it was sworn in in March - has already won approval from the Defence Minister, Moshe Ya’alon.
The move comes two days after the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the country’s Housing Minister, Uri Ariel, not to press ahead with government tenders for as many as 3,000 new homes in what the Palestinians have earmarked as part of their future state.
Mr Netanyahu made a similar move in 2010 before the last round of peace talks with the Palestinians that ultimately proved to be fruitless.
The Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erakat said the latest move sent a clear message: that Israel was not interested in resuming direct talks. “We condemn this new decision which is proof that the Israeli government wants to sabotage and ruin the US administration's efforts to revive the peace process,” he told the AFP news agency.
“This is a message to the American administration and a blow to the peace process.”
Tzipi Livni, the Israeli Justice Minister, who also has responsibility for overseeing peace initiatives with the Palestinians, has been in Rome meeting with Mr Kerry ahead of his next trip to Jerusalem and Ramallah later this month. She attempted to quell the Palestinian outrage at the announcement.
“There is no need for this to become a pretext for drama or anger,” she told Israeli Army Radio, adding that the Americans were aware of the latest housing plan. “They listened and they understood, and for the moment, there is no reaction,” she said.
Peace activists inside Israel argued that the green light for the new homes proved that the Israeli government is not serious about any new peace initiative.
Hagit Ofran, who runs the Settlement Watch offshoot of the Peace Now group, said: “It seems Netanyahu is deceiving the public by claiming to have restrained the construction in settlements. The reported pause in publication of new tenders is halting only a small part of the construction in settlements, while the construction on the ground continues, and the initiation of new plans, even in isolated settlements, continues.”
-
Man dies after disabled parking space row at Bedfordshire Asda
-
Zero-hours contracts: One million British workers could be affected
-
'The party is over': Spain threatens €50 border fee as Gibraltar row with UK escalates
-
‘Big lie’ behind the bedroom tax: Families trapped with nowhere to move face penalty for having spare room
-
Egypt: Mohamed Morsi's allies admit defeat and plot to fly him into exile
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Independent Dating
iJobs General
Market Research Telephone Interviewer
£8 per hour plus excellent benefits: The Research House Limited: Part Time Tel...
Science Teacher, Hampstead London
£24000 - £40000 per annum: Randstad Education London: THE JOB We are currently...
Secondary supply teaching jobs in South London
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Randstad Education London: We are currently recruit...
TALENTED ENGLISH TEACHER NEEDED IN LEWISHAM
£26000 - £28000 per annum: Randstad Education London: Randstad Education is lo...
Day In a Page
Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?
Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday
Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?
Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'
Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes






